Tuesday

Steve Lambert


Artist Statement
For me, art is a bridge that connects uncommon, idealistic, or even radical ideas with everyday life. I carefully craft various conditions where I can discuss these ideas with people and have a mutually meaningful exchange. Often this means working collaboratively with the audience, bringing them into the process or even having them physically complete the work. I want my art to be relevant to those outside the gallery – say, at the nearest bus stop – to reach them in ways that are engaging and fun. I intend what I do to be funny, but at the core of each piece there is also a solemn critique. It’s important to be able to laugh while actively questioning the various power structures at work in our daily lives. I have the unabashedly optimistic belief that art changes the way people look at the world. That belief fuels a pragmatic approach to bring about those changes.
(Steve Lambert. About Steve. Available: http://visitsteve.com/bio/. Last accessed 15th April.)

I will talk to anyone
I set up this table near other individuals and organizations tabling for political, religious and other causes. When people approach I offer to talk to them about whatever they would like. If they don’t know what they want to talk about I keep a list of questions such as:
- How about this weather?
- What have you been up to lately?
- What are you doing after this?
- How are things?
This formula has lead to conversations with all kinds of strangers on topics from the weather to the Iranian revolution, Native American philosophy, agriculture, film, etc. The table is very popular.
(Steve Lambert. I will talk to anyone. Available: http://visitsteve.com/made/talkwithanyone/. Last accessed 15th April.)

(Steve Lambert, I will talk to anyone, 2006)

This is information is extracted from Steve Lambert’s website, Lambert is an American artist born in 1979, and his field mainly consists of street art/performance looking at issues to do with advertising and public space. His piece “I will talk to anyone” is a site generic performance due to the versatile nature, Lambert can move this piece anywhere as it is dependent on participation of audience members rather than location he sets the piece in. This piece is an inspiration for my final performance as I and the rest of the group are interested in performances that look at audience participation that includes their thoughts, ideas or memories in order for the performance to be successful. I also like the way in which Lambert presents himself with his performance style. I feel that in order to gain participants for a interactive performance you have to adopt and open and friendly performance persona which is what I feel makes Lambert’s piece “I will talk to anyone” successful as he allows the audience to approach him. He does not harass or bother the public but simply allows them to approach him, which again adds to the open feel to his performance as it does not create an uneasy or sceptical atmosphere for the audience/participants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment